10 Reasons why Fad Diets Suck
A Fad diet is a conventional diet that promises people fast results through simple methods. These diets are very tempting given that losing weight is a challenge to many people with most of them having a misconception that they can lose weight overnight.
The fact is fad diets are all hype and may cause you, even more, harm than good. It is much better to use a proven and healthy weight loss program that focus on long term results.
Below Are 10 Reasons why Fad Diets Suck:
- Unnecessary food restrictions -- Fad diets that promise quick weight loss will usually instruct you to eat more of one food type and restrict yourself from eating another food type. This could lead to an unbalanced diet. To address that, fad diets will usually recommend many supplements, but then again, many supplements might cause nutritional deficiencies.
- Against the fat level as recommended by the government -- Fad diets does not follow government recommendations for fat concentrations in the diet. Most fad diets will recommend high fat and low carb diet, which is not good for your health when taken long term. You will indeed lose weight but taking so much fat could lead to heart disease.
- Failure to address the root cause of weight gain -- The reason that fad diets are considered bad is that these diets do not address the root cause of the weight gain. You regain back the weight you lost at the end of the day!
- Expensive -- Some fad diets require people to take pills and drink potions which can be costly.
- Anti-exercises -- Any diet that promises you weight loss without counting your calories or doing exercise is a fad diet. These diets do not encourage weight loss patients to incorporate exercises into their programs.
- Elimination of healthy foods -- Usually, fad diets ask people to eliminate certain food groups from their diet because they are bad. Some of the foods are carbohydrates, dietary fiber, and essential fatty acids.
- Short term results -- Fad diets are just a temporary solution and will not make any permanent change to your figure and eating habits. In a few weeks time, you will regain all the weight as you will fall back to your old eating habits.
- Extremely unhealthy -- The short-term weight loss effects followed by weight gain is extremely unhealthy and may cause many diseases such as high blood pressure or coronary heart disease.
- Not motivating -- They will make you feel bad and guilty whenever you break the overly restrictive diet. After a few days of following the diet and restricting yourself of certain foods, you will start craving and start being bored and sad about your diet.
- Unbalanced diet -- Many fad diets do not give you a balanced intake of fruits and vegetables, which is important to keep yourself healthy.
Irrespective of how good the fad diet advertisement is, don't fall for these diets, they will not help you in the long term. The only way to achieve weight loss is to eat moderately, eat a balanced diet, exercise, etc.